I quickly searched for a response to defend myself, but the truth was in his hands like a bouquet. A bouquet of limp radishes, carrots and celery. I shifted the uncomfortable mass that has become my body, wiped away a milk mustache and declared, "We're having potato salad for dinner. Didn't I tell you?"
Roasted Root Vegetable Potato Salad
- Cut, with skin on (what turns out to be about 3 cups) of your choice of potato (I think I used yukon gold) into about 1" cubes or quarters.
- Add potatoes to a pot of boiling water for about 8 mins until they are "al dente". Remove from water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop veggies (radishes, carrots, celery) into even sized cuts. (Radishes, in half and sliced about 1/4" thick. Carrots about 1/4" thick. Celery about 1/2" thick.)
- Spread veggies (not potatoes yet) onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix veggies around to get an even coated layer.
- Spread al dente potatoes evenly onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix around to get an even coated layer.
- Roast veggies and potatoes for about 20 minutes. Occasionally rotating sheets or stirring around to distribute roasting. When done, potatoes and veggies should still have a subtle firmness, but roasty and tender at the same time.
- Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, mix 1/3 cup mayo (or more if you like), 2 tablespoons dijon mustard, and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar.
- Once potatoes and veggies are cooled toss them into a bowl with the dressing (adding more or less depending on your tastes).
Nothing says summertime like a potato covered in a mayonaise based dressing. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.